Monday 28 May 2012

Today I'm gonna party likes it's my birthday!

cause it is.

I am finding it hard to stay awake in the heat, perhaps a little afternoon partaking of booze is also affecting my alertness. So I can't comment on The dead, John Houston's last film, as I have only watched the first fifteen minutes three times. 

I've spent the day sending text messages to my friend who's currently stuck on an insufferable blind date. For which party the suffering is happening I couldn't possibly say.

Hello Ms XXXX this is an automated message from your health clinic please make a non urgent appointment to see your mental health care worker ASAP.

I have been watching Girls.  Lena Dunham writes, directs and heads up the cast in a HBO comedy watching a group of girls in their twenties.

I see your face.

It's not SITC.  

It is a smart, funny, incredible well observed portrayal of youth.

The awkward moments and destructive relationships Lena puts her characters in remind me of some of the best Woody Allen Movies.  

She also wrote, directed and starred in Tiny furniture, a film in which her real life mother and sister play her fictional mother and sister. Lena's character returns to the family home after college unsure of what to do with her life and with the inexperience of youth falls back into her child like behaviour.  However her mother and sister have moved within the family structure leaving Lena's  character  wading through the reality of life on her own.

A favourite scene for me is where Lena's character is berating her mother,who clearly is wishing her offspring would move on with her life, and a fatigued Lena's mother wearily asks  'Do you actually like living here?  This line sums up the shifting mother and growing daughter role for me. 

Lena creates rounded, and at times hilarious, roles for each character.  I'm not sure at 24 I was so self aware or indeed had enough thought to understand most of my peers actions let alone those of my siblings or parents.  

I'm a little bit in love with Lena.







No comments:

Post a Comment